slideyfoot.com | bjj resources

 Home
 Contact
 Reviews
 BJJ FAQ  Academy

This website is about Brazilian jiu jitsu (BJJ). I'm a black belt who started in 2006, teaching and training at Artemis BJJ in Bristol, UK. All content ©Can Sönmez

09 November 2008

09/11/2008 - Judo

Class #8


Warwick Judo (Judo), Chris Page, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK - 09/11/2008

Had another Warwick Uni BJJ meet-up, although it was only an hour and things stayed basic as usual. I again went through bridge and shrimp escape from side control followed by a scissor sweep, then showing the push sweep variation. Still getting a good turnout, which is cool, although tonight a lot of the judoka were there mainly to work on their grading syllabus (which is fair enough, as not only is it technically judo's booked slot anyway which they're letting me use, but the grading is coming up soon).

Unlike last week I wasn't rushing off to go see a film, so stayed to do the judo session straight after. Tonight was pretty heavy on technique, so I didn't catch all of it. I tried to keep in mind a few in order to write them down later, particularly the techniques that looked applicable to my BJJ.

Chris started with some follow-up throws from tai-otoshi (where you stick your leg in front of their's and pull them over it) if your first attempt doesn't work out. If your partner is wise to the technique and steps over your leg, you have several options.

I can't remember all the names (one of them was called something like ko-uchi, but I don't know which), but the first one was to switch the leg you've stepped in front to behind their same side leg, reap it with your heel and drive forward, landing on top of them. This is possible because they've stepped around your foot, which leaves them open to getting either foot hooked and driven onto their backs. You can also hook around the same side leg and drive forward, also using your arm to pull up on the leg.

You can also hook the other leg, driving them forward again. Finally, you could switch to an uchimata, where you switch your grip from their collar to over their shoulder, then swing back the leg you have in between theirs and bring them to the floor.

We did a bit of nagewaza after that, which as far as I can tell is throwing without your partner resisting, and then into transitional sparring. So, like normal tachiwaza randori, but continuing to ground work for a short while. In both that and nagewaza, I'm still having trouble relaxing my body in order both to let my partner throw me when its compliant and help me attack when it isn't. Something to continue working on.

Newaza involved some more turnovers from the turtle. Chris showed quite a few, so I don't think I've remembered them all, but from what I remember they all started by grabbing their near wrist with the arm you have closest to their hand, bringing your arm on the inside of their's and then twisting it to grab the wrist. Pull them arm in and towards their legs.

Next, reach through their legs and grab hold of the bottom of the gi jacket, or possibly their belt. Now drop to your side and roll them over, switching quickly to move into north-south. You can also use your knee to help bump their over, lifting their lower leg, though I found I kept leaving more space when I did that, so need to transition faster.

Finally on that, you can also go for an armbar called waki-gatami. I was bit uncertain on this one, but it starts from the same grip. You make as if to try the turnover to get your partner to resist, then instead pull out their arm, leaning into them like you would in reverse scarf hold (but they're in a turtle position with you controlling their arm). Secure their limb with your elbow, keeping your weight down, then slowly lean back to hyperextend their elbow joint to get the tap.

Class finished with some newaza, which has now got to the point where people are allowed to choke and armlock. So, that made things a bit more interesting: I was able to lock on a RNC one of the brown belts, though I think he was probably going easy on me. I didn't feel I had particularly good control, as I only had one vague hook in, but proved enough for the sub. However, was sloppy on my part either way.

With one of the black belts, I had a play around in guard, seeing if I could get a triangle. I managed to get my legs in position, but it didn't feel tight enough for a choke. So instead, I was at long last able to transition to an armbar, turning belly down for the sub. This time there was a bit of a size difference, and again possible that the other guy was going easy, seeing as I had a white belt on.

Last roll was with a green belt (Sam, possibly? Not sure), where I was mostly sitting in guard. Time ran out before I had a chance to do anything, though interestingly seems to be moving more towards the BJJ set-up in class (i.e., not back to back all the time, but starting from the knees).

Kung Fu Panda is showing at the student cinema in about an hour, so will be cool to get a chance to watch that (especially for only £2), as I missed it when it was on general release. The student cinema is really handy for situations like that, although as I'm only up here part of the week, lots of films I'd like to watch but either can't get to at all (if they're on Wednesday or Thursday) or in time (if they're on Friday, which is a pain as I wanted to see Hellboy II, but there's no way I'll make it to uni for 21:30 coming up from Marylebone at 20:00).

No comments:

Post a Comment